Father’s Day is right around the corner, and if you are anything like me you still have not gotten your shopping quite finished yet.
Hey, it happens.
Life gets in the way, and then all of a sudden you realize how quickly the day is approaching, and low and behold not a single gift idea comes to mind.
That’s what we are here for.
Keep reading this post to find the best Father’s Day gift ideas, optimized for every budget.
Only have a little bit of money to spend?
Or maybe you were thinking about going all out this year.
We have you covered for that situation as well.
Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the guide!
Low Budget: The Penny Pinchers
I really mean it when I say there is nothing wrong with a budget gift, especially assuming you arrived at that budget due to sincere financial limitations.
For the younger readers out there who haven’t even hit the minimum age of employment yet, you might find this section particularly beneficial.
And even if you do have a job but are simply trying to stay within a budget, there is no shame in that either.
We will now take a look at a few gifts that won’t break your bank, but will show your dad how much he means to you.
For budgeting purposes, everything on this portion of the list will go for under $20.
Embroidered Grill Apron
I know that the one featured would make my father particularly pleased give his feelings towards the Godfather franchise, but really anything would do.
Of course, if your father isn’t one for the grill this obviously won’t make for much of a gift, but let’s assume he’s about it, and take a look at some of the reasons this is a good idea.
- Practical: Anyone that grills, even semi regularly is going to need something to keep their clothes clean, especially if they are into using a lot of BBQ sauce. I’ve always considered the ideal gift something that is both fun and useful.
- Thoughtful: Nothing about the grill apron screams cheap, last minute gift. No, it says you considered their interests and responded accordingly. If you go with a cool one with something fun and personal stamped on the front, you’re going to earn yourself some bonus points.
- They will think of you when they use it: ….Actually, I guess that subheading sort of speaks for itself, doesn’t it?
But it is true. If grilling really is a big part of your father’s life, they are going to use this item an awful lot, and every time they do they will remember who got it for them. Kind of special, right?
Personally, I like the idea of the grill apron as a gift a lot, because it embodies all the important qualities of a good present. Useful, sentimental, and for the price it won’t break the budget. You may even have money left over to splurge on a decent card.
Fun Slippers (or regular, if you are boring)
Anyone can get a pair of slippers, but not everyone can get some fun and cool ones. Okay fine, regular ones will do too since dad can use them anywhere.
Obviously which route you chose to take is up to you, but come on. Be cool. Be bold. Have fun.
Either way I think it is safe to say everyone likes slippers, right? Here’s why.
- Relaxing: You aren’t usually stressed out in slippers, are you? No, of course not. If you find yourself stressed out in slippers it means that something has gone terribly wrong.
When your dad reaches for these to relax at the end of a long day he will think of you, and that’s kind of nice.
- You don’t usually buy them for yourself: At least I don’t know anyone who does. For as comfortable as slippers are, they also aren’t exactly something that come to mind while you are out shopping.
They are the sort of gift that you never knew you needed until you got them, which is definitely a good attribute when it comes to gift giving.
- Silly: I guess this one really only applies to the silly option but if you go that route your dad is probably going to appreciate it. Not only is he going to think of you every time he reaches for his new slippers. He is going to think of you, and laugh.
Slippers are a quality gift for a lot of the same reasons as a grilling apron. They are fun, practical, and you probably aren’t going to get them for yourself, making them a good buy.
The Craft Beer Cookbook
Not only is this product endorsed by Oprah (if that for some reason matters to you) it is also endorsed by this father (meaning me) who loves cooking, and craft beer.
If your father really doesn’t dig time in the kitchen not spent with a fork in his mouth, this probably isn’t going to be the one for him. But if he is like me, and loves every second that he spends over the stove, you’ll earn a lot of appreciation with this awesome gift.
Let’s again look at why.
- Appeals to Multiple interests: Or at least you know. It has the potential to. If your dad likes cooking and beer (if he doesn’t why are you even reading this part?) then he will love the opportunity to explore a book about both.
- Fun for the Whole Family: One thing I love about a good cook book is that the entire family gets to enjoy it. There are several in rotation at my house that everyone just loves.
- Bonding Opportunity: Whether you’re still living with your dad, or long moved out into the real world, this cook book offers you the opportunity to hangout with the old man for a while, and prepare a recipe or two.
I’ve had my father show me a number of recipes both on the stove and on the grill. It’s partially for learning purposes, but mostly it’s just to hang out. The cookbook can serve as an icebreaker into just such an arrangement.
Food is such an important aspect of family that any gift involving it is going to be a good buy. I can personally say that I would love to receive this item as a Father’s Day present, and if your dad loves cooking as much as I do, he will feel the same way.
Mid-Priced Buys: I Have Some Money to Spare
Now that we have taken a look at a few low-priced options, let’s bump the range up a little bit. We will now take a look at gifts from between $20-50. There certainly nothing wrong with spending only a little bit of money, but there isn’t anything wrong with spending a little more either.
Personalized Cigar Set
There is nothing quite like relaxing with a large cigar and a stiff drink. Unless you don’t care for cigars, I suppose. I’m told that to those who do not, they smell a little something like smoked dog turd.
If your father is a fan of stogies, and doesn’t associate their smell with poo of any kind, he will love this choice give set, and here is why.
- Classy: Though you certainly do not need to be wealthy to enjoy the pleasures of a fine cigar, little touches of class here and their certainly serve to heighten the experience. That is what this set offers.
If you purchase this deluxe item for your father, every time he sits down for his habit he will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
- He can Actually Use it: Whether your father is a golfer that enjoys a smoke on the course, a man that just likes to have a cigar with him at all times, or someone who appreciates the convenience of keeping all his stogie stuff together this gift will be useful to him.
The case itself is enough to make the gift worthwhile and every enthusiast will tell you that they could use another cutter. Especially one with their name on it.
- Worth Bragging About: Without a doubt if your father tends to share a smoke now again with his buddies, this new set is going to become a point of conversation eventually, and he will get the chance to humbly brag about how thoughtful his son or daughter is. Pretty cool.
Ultimately, this product has a lot going for it, for the right person. It’s thoughtful, useful, and has the appearance of costing more than it actually does which is always a nice bonus.
I’m practicing what I preach with this one. Come Father’s Day, this is what my dad is getting from me, and I think if your loved one shares a passion for the game of golf this will be a good gift to consider for him as well. Let’s take a look at why.
- Looks Good: Head covers make a golf bag look a little classier. Even if upon closer inspection it turns out his sticks are bargain bin rejects, the new head covers will add a touch of class to the bag from a distance.
- Keeps Your Clubs Safe: Headcovers are for more than just enhancing the appearance of your bag—they serve a practical purpose as well. Whether you walk or ride the course, after eighteen holes the heads of your clubs are going to get banged around a good bit.
Considering how much golf clubs cost, your father definitely wants to keep his in pristine shape.
- Finders are no longer Keepers: A lot of times when you leave things behind on the golf course, they are gone for good, and not just for the fact that people aren’t as trust worthy as they used to be.
So many people filter in and out of the golf course on a given day that it can be difficult even to determine who owned what. Embroidered head covers certainly eliminate the confusion.
I know I said I would be picking this set up for my father, but I might get one for myself as well. As a golf fanatic I am always looking for quality gear at an affordable price, and this set certainly qualifies.
Vinyl Wall Art
The link above offers more an example than an actual suggestion. The suggestion here is the vinyl wall art, although I am sure this Beatles album would be appreciated by men and women alike.
I think there is a lot to like about this product, but let’s take a look at a few specific things.
- Retro: I guess it depends on how old your father is, but depending on his age, this vinyl album might be the perfect retro call back for his office.
- Make it Special: I would imagine that most parent child relationships have a soundtrack of some sort. For me and my father, it’s anything AC/DC. There are a lot of these vinyl art pieces out there, so you should have no trouble finding one that suits his interests.
- Becomes a Fixture of the Room: As people step into the family room, living room, or your father’s office, there is a good chance they are going to mention the awesome vinyl art hanging from the wall. It will be a point of pride for your dad—both the admiration, and the fact that it all stemmed from a gift you gave him.
If I was getting my dad a second Father’s Day present (I’m not, because come on. That’s a lot to ask of a person) it would probably be this. It looks great and with all the options out there, it’s really going to appeal to everyone.
High End Price Range: The Ballers
The final few products are on what we call the higher end of the price spectrum. Everything here is over fifty dollars, but still less than one hundred, so you certainly aren’t going to need to take out a second mortgage on your house if you decide to go this route.
Dads that golf are truly going to go nuts over this one. Odyssey is one of, if not the most trusted brands in the world when it comes to making high grade putters.
You will get this one for a steal too because the model is a few years old. Do you want to hear a little-known secret though? Putter technology doesn’t change much over the course of a few years. Decades yes, maybe, but not years.
Every year, most major golf club manufacturers will release a complete new line of putters, but the truth of the matter is they are mostly different in name alone from the previous year’s models, and then naturally enough, the old stuff comes on sale.
Does that make it a scam? I’m not really one to judge that way. Don’t think of it as a scam. Think of it as a great opportunity to pick up awesome gear on the cheap. Your dad will love it, and here is why.
- High End: Like I said, Odyssey is one of the best brands out there. It’s the same company that makes putters for golf greats like Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, and the late Arnold Palmer. Your dad is definitely going to love the upgrade to his bag.
- It Will Last a Long Time: When you get a high-grade putter, there is no need to regularly buy new models, so this putter will stay in the bag for many, many years to come, and you can bet that every time he sinks a birdy putt, he will be thinking of you.
- A Good Excuse to Get Together: Not that you need one, I am sure. Still it is kind of nice to have a built-in excuse to join your father on the course, isn’t it? You can say something along the lines of, “How about we go see what that new putter of yours can do, dad?” Or something less cheesy.
I like this idea a lot for two reasons. The first is simply because your dad is most likely going to enjoy it if he is a fan of golf. The second is that to me, and many people, golf is a great way for a parent and a child to bond, and I think this gift recognizes that.
Kindle Paper White
I thought that I should include at least one techy item on the list, and given the price range of this category, this seems like the place to do it.
By now, everyone knows what a Kindle is, so there really isn’t a need to go in depth explaining the value of it, but let’s consider some of the reasons your father might appreciate one.
- Everyone Knows what it is, but does he Really Know? If your father is something of a geezer he may not be quite as familiar with the benefits of this product as most of the rest of the world.
The tech shock will be a pleasant surprise, and you may be given the opportunity to spend a little bit of extra time with him as you demonstrate how to set it up and use it.
- Reduces Clutter: Doesn’t it seem that the older people get, the more clutter they seem to have lying about? Before you start feeling superior, keep in mind that us young people are presently in the process of accumulating our own useless crap.
I definitely am never going to be the one to call books useless, but they do take up loads of space, and if your dad has been cultivating them for many decades, that is a lot of space to clear up.
- Pre-Load it: If you can think of a few stories your father used to read to you as you were growing up, a nice touch would be to preload a few of them onto the Kindle. It will take him down memory lane, and show him how much he is appreciated by you.
There is plenty to love about a Kindle, and this is a good price for it too, meaning this product is definitely something to consider for this gift giving season.
Baseball Blue Print
This is another gift that my own father would go nuts for. Yours will too if he is a fan of baseball. The design featured on these unique décor items is beautiful and eye catching, and it will look great on any wall.
The reasons this present rocks as a gift for any baseball lover are probably pretty self—apparent, but since there is clearly a pattern to the format here, let’s take a closer look at what your father will love about it, shall we?
- It Ties the Room Together: I don’t really know if people refer to home offices as “Studies” anymore, but a room with this hanging from the wall could well enough earn the noun.
Rarely does hobbyist décor actually enhance the look of a room, but I think it is very hard to deny that this piece does just that.
- Their Own Childhood: A baseball fan does not just bloom overnight with a hot dog in one hand and a beer in the other on a person’s twenty first birthday. No, fandom is cultivated over many dedicated years of watching games, studying stats, and making trips to the ballpark.
Buying a blueprint model of your dad’s favorite park is going to take him right back to childhood.
- And Talk About Past Times: For the last item we mentioned, I sited golf as a good way for parents and children to bond, but truly there is nothing more synonymous with parent child bonding than baseball.
If you and your father already share a love for the game, this gift will serve as a reminder for all of the many hours you have both dedicated to your passion for the sport. If you don’t quite match his enthusiasm, it still shows your respect for his interests, making this gift a win, win.
Clearly, I am very fond of this as a buying option, and I think you will be too if you decide to go this route. One thing I should mention however, is that it does not come with a frame, so you will probably want to purchase one of those as well, which will bump up the cost a little bit.
GoPro Hero 5 Session
We recently got the GoPro Hero 5 Session to go along with a new RC and boy were we amazed with what this action cam can do.
Let’s just say that although I wanted to start a Youtube Channel, I think we all enjoy this thing.
I let the boys take this thing out of the house and they do come back with amazing footage to add to our Youtube Channel.
Why do I think this is the perfect gift?
- For starters, this thing costs a lot less than a regular GoPro and although it is above $100, it is very much worth the price.
- The GoPro Hero 5 Session has some amazing Quality even if it does cost less. Just because it is smaller, it doesn’t sacrifice any quality as it still takes the same quality of videos as the regular Hero 5.
- With this thing, it allows dad to bond with the kids and it can lead to some cool hobbies like it has done for me and my family.
Bellroy Travel Wallet
Bellroy produces wallets, phone cases, and sleek looking gear for the stylish dad.
Not the cheapest of gifts, but Bellroy has some of the most simplest products that come with great quality and style.
My first Bellroy product was a case for my iPhone 6S, which is super simple and functional at the same time.
They also have this Bellroy Travel Wallet that I also liked, which I’m sure will be a great gift for any dad that loves to travel.
With a compartment for a passport accompanied by a little pen, this might just be the perfect gift idea for dad this Father’s day.
- If you want to stand out from the rest of the dad pack, this is the product for you. Super simple, but you can tell this thing is going to last. If that doesn’t give you peace of mind, maybe a 3 year warranty will do the trick.
- This wallet is also very affordable for something with high quality, so you can’t go wrong there.
Bomber Barrel Duffel Bag
I’m a fan of simplicity with sleek design and the Bomber Barrel Duffel Bag has exactly that.
Although it is really simple, it comes with everything you can ask for in an everyday carry type of bag.
- Premium quality is the name of the game when it comes to the Bomber company. Originally an item on Kickstarter, is now a hot commodity.
- With an affordable price, this is definitely the gift to get dad this year.
Why in the world does all the cool stuff have to be expensive?!
I’d like to say you can’t put a price tag on dad, but if your dad is anything like me (doesn’t get anything) I’m sure he’s appreciate anything from this list.
At the end of the day, your dad isn’t really going to mind how much you did or did not spend.
It truly is the thought that counts, so pick something you think he will like, and give it to him confidently.
Father’s Day is about showing appreciation, and if you put your heart into your gift giving efforts that is exactly what you will do.
Looking for a gift for a dad to be?
See our gift guide for new dads here.
I hope these Father’s Day gift ideas help you find that perfect gift and although I would love to add more to this list, I’m sure you can get a general idea of what to get the man of the house.
Happy Father’s Day!
6 thoughts on “Father’s Day Gift Guide: Ideas For Every Budget”
Great post! So many good products there, even the cheap ones. I love the slippers, the vinyl wall art, the kindle and the Gopro. Heck, I love them all. I am not someone who gets a lot of pressies from the kids as they live in Melbourne and I am up on the Gold Coast so I intend sharing this post with them haha!
What is the present you would like to receive?
Happy Fathers Day,
I’m more of the complicated, conservative type of dad so I’d rather save that money. The money that will be used to by my gift is going to be mine anyways, lol.
I always get stuck when it comes to buying gifts for my step dad. I tend to buy him the same old whiskey every Birthday, Christmas and Fathers Day! You’ve given me few great ideas here. Think I’m going to go for the cigars it should go perfectly with his whiskey!
I think so too Tina!
Hey man, thanks for standing up for Dads everywhere who don’t get anything. We should make you a hero of the cause. Anyway, I need to send the people in my life to your site.
Lol, thanks man!